Tuesday, January 23, 2007

State of the Union or Spice Assignment?

Tonight, I did not watch the State of the Union address. I agree with many of the reasons Steve wrote about, but thankfully I was actually able to do something good. On Sunday, I finally worked up the courage to do some Priesthood service and signed up to work at the Centerville dry-pack cannery for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. For those not familiar, dry goods for the Church’s welfare programs are canned/bottled there.

When I signed up, I didn’t even realize that I was going to miss the State of the Union tonight. I was aware that the speech was happening, but the two events did not connect in my mind. I finally put two and two together this morning, and I felt relieved.

I group State of X speeches with national political convention speeches and others that attempt to satisfy both the audience physically present in the hall and TV viewers. I first was annoyed by this during Clinton’s 1994 SOTU when I realized how short the speech would be if he would just cut out the applause lines and/or the audience would just applause once at the end. So, I was glad I missed the speech itself. I will take the time to watch the highlights and read analyses, but I can do without the actual joke of a speech.

I was even more grateful when I realized I would miss both of what I consider the greatest threats to civilization: the President and (what I join City Weekly columnist Bill Frost in referring to it as) That Gawdawful Fox Karaoke Show Which Shall Not Be Named Here.

After two hours and 3840 ounces of cinnamon bottled, the kind Elder supervising us thanked us and told us there would be great blessings in store for our work. I have faith in that, but I have gratitude for tonight’s blessings.

However, I must disagree with Steve on one of his points. I was able to listen to the Democratic response by Sen. Webb, and I was pleasantly surprised by the piffy and succinct manner his speech effectively responded to Bush’s rhetoric.

No comments: