Sunday, February 18, 2007

DC Travel, Romney Review, etc

It has been nearly 10 days since my last post, and I feel badly about that. Last week went by so quickly, I barely had time to breathe, let alone post. So, today I have a bit of time, and I hope to have more time tomorrow to do more posts on Presidents’ Day, the bias in the Davis County Clipper, and other issues.

First, an explanation: I went to a job fair in DC last week; it took nearly a full day to get from SLC airport, through JFK airport in NYC, and then finally getting on several trains to get to the hotel. I had a good time, and may be moving to get a new job, either in DC, Nevada, or other places. I can only say that I count my blessings that things were not worse at JFK and that I have returned home safely.

I am now watching Mitt Romney’s interview on This Week today. I realized again why I do not like Mitt Romney as a politician and would be very concerned if he became President of the United States. This interview reminded me that he is no different from any other Utah Mormon Republican politician who tries to use his religion politically, trying to have it both ways: benefit from the “values image” of the faith, without wanting to defend his faith for fear of political damage. He also carries the personality of a typical national politician (this group includes all the Presidential candidates, all the Congressional leaders including Harry Reid) who make their positions based on political considerations instead on what is right, what is proven, or what is best for the country. That is why I am not supporting him for President. I don’t believe Romney has the political courage to stand up for his true convictions. That may be his undoing, or his key to success.

Does that mean he should be discriminated against because of his religion? No. Does that mean he could not win the Presidency? I think it has been proven that my power to affect the political scene is minimal. However, I feel compelled to state that he is the wrong choice for America. I still have not made up my mind as to the right choice, but it is becoming clearer (and earlier than I thought) who are the wrong ones.

No comments: